Beginners WordPress Explained In Lehman’s Language
In Beginners WordPress we would take you through the most easiest way for setting up your travel blog. WordPress is the most easiest platform for creating a website. Let’s just understand it better, it’s easy to start with. However when people get into complications half of them retaliate back. I would take you thought the WordPress journey of building your own blog. Also we would help you at each step in case there is a bottle neck.
For the people who already have a blog on WordPress, I will be sharing few professional tips to make their WordPress site better.
The first few steps of setting up a WordPress site takes special emphasis. We have summed up and listed each important task that needs to be followed while setting up the new WordPress site. Also since we would be using the phrase WordPress very often, let’s introduce “WP” as a short form.
- Purchase web-hosting and a domain name for your WordPress Travel blog.
- Things that you need to take care off immediately after the WordPress configuration.
- WordPress plugins that you require and how to configure it.
The above listed 3 tasks, if completed with utmost precision, you can have you WordPress Travel blog running in matter of hours.
Let’s discuss these task one by one and get more clarity on each individual point. I would also recommend that you bookmark this page for future reference. This article will only emphasize on the above mentioned tasks. For any other beginners WordPress topics you can write to us, or visit our WP Articles Section, by clicking the link here.
Purchasing domain name and web-hosting
Domain name usually cost anywhere between 6$ to a number of “unlimited$”. (Depends if you want to buy Facebook.com, or Google.com…lol) When Shutterholic.in started I looked for a domain name for about 15 days. It is very important to research about the subject on which your WP blog would be based. However I kept few ground rules while searching for the domain name and finally came out with Shutterholic. I would like to share the same ground rules with you.
Rules of selecting a domain name:
- Do a rigorous study on keywords in google keywords tool, the idea is to have keywords which are searched most often. This will increase the chances of your WP blog coming higher in the page ranking.
- Keep it short for people to remember, long names are generally not entertained and people tend to forget them or make mistakes in typing. The result is they won’t be able to find you on the world wide web. A good example would be: Too Long: www.how tomakeawebsite.com, Too short: www.htmaw.com, Perfect: www.Shutterholic.in (Not boasting)
- Third most important part is the extension. Every domain name has two parts to it. The text before the ‘dot’, which is the main part of the domain name, and the extension after it. The extension you chose can work both for and against you. For example, imagine you’ve picked chooseadomain as your website name, but find the chooseadomain.com domain name isn’t available. You might register the chooseadomain.net domain name instead. This allows you to keep your original name, which is good, but you also run a certain risk of people typing in the more common .com suffix when they try to find your website. This can be a problem if the chooseadomain.com name belongs to one of your competitors. I did not had an option as .com was taken by someone else. So decided to go with .in.
- Finally when you are done deciding the domain name, the next step is to check if the domain is available for sale or not. It not then you need to repeat all the task as the domain name that you had in your mind has taken up by someone else.
To purchase the domain’s you can visit any of the domain registration sites mentioned below, click on the hosting company to go their official website:
The above mentioned 4 are the most popular one’s and you get good deals and discounts. So we would recommend to use the above only.
Video Help: Enough of classroom study and text, let me now show you through a video tutorial as how you can get domain registered and take hosting plan from any hosting company.
Purchasing Domain Name:
Purchasing Domain Name: Click to watch the video
Hosting Plans: Click to watch the video
Domain Name Propagation On Hosting Server (Defining Name Servers): Click to watch the video
Installing WordPress for your website: Click to watch the video
Please like the videos and subscribe to my YouTube channel if you like them videos.
Things that you need to take care off immediately after the WordPress configuration
Once you have installed WP on the front end of your web blog. You need to set few thing to make you web blog present felt in the real world. Let’s start with few important things which should be on your WP blog.
Choosing ideal theme & right settings for you WP blog as per your requirement as as per the look which you want on your WP blog site.
Once you complete the above two tasks, you will enter the WP blogging world.
Beginners WordPress plugins that you require for your WP blog
Once you install WP on your site there are few important plugins which are required for smooth functioning of your WP blog. One of the major mistake that many newbies make after creating a WordPress blog is they don’t bother setting up some of the things that can create a huge difference. These few setups will help out in every aspect of your new website and each step won’t take more than 5 minutes.
In case of any query feel free to contact us through our email ID which is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Beginners WordPress Plugins
Install & Activate Akismet Plugin: This plugin save you from the spam comments which spammers can post on your WP blog. (get you free API key-Click to Watch Video)
Install & Activate WordPress SEO By Yoast: Free plugin to make your website more SEO friendly. (Click to Watch Video)
Smush It WP Plugin: This free plugin compresses the image files on your WP blog and helps in loading the pages much faster.
WordPress Social Media Plugin: What good is a content which cant be shared to others. This plugin will allow you to share your content on social media platforms.
iThemes Security: Take the guesswork out of WordPress security. Also iThemes Security offers 30+ ways to lock down WordPress in an easy-to-use WordPress security plugin.
Once you have installed & activated these plugins, your WP is ready. Also the next thing you want to do it keep blogging and keep adding more and more content to your WP blog. Thank you for reading Beginners WordPress, feel free to leave a comment at the end of the page.